Since the subtitle of my blog is "random musings from a couple of thirty-somethings" I thought I would add a random musing. The other thirty-something is apparently not interested in adding any of his musings, but I didn't really expect him to.
This morning I was able to watch the Today Show. I never do, and don't really care to, but this morning I had 2 loads of laundry to fold, and Silas took a 3 HOUR NAP (!!!) and Micah was playing computer games. There was nothing especially interesting about the show, but oy, the commercials! There were several commercials for kids cereals and they were all about how healthy they were! I mean, they've always said they're a part of a balanced breakfast or something like that, but this was even more specific. I wish I could remember exactly, but I wasn't really paying attention until I looked up and happened to see the Trix rabbit next to a kid with a medal around his neck. Yeah, the first commercial was for Big G cereals, which is apparently General Mills. Trix, Lucky Charms, Cocoa Puffs, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc. And the other one was for Froot Loops. I'm not trying to be a breakfast snob because I sure loved things like that when I was little and would beg my mom for some (alas, to no avail.) And I will admit that one of my favorite things about college was the option of Lucky Charms each morning in the cafeteria. (I loved saving the marshmallows until the end until they were nice and squishy. Some kids go to college to get drunk, I went for the sugary cereals.) I know many parents feed their children cereals like these, and everyone is certainly allowed to make that choice. What gets my goat is the companies trying to convince us that they're healthy! Last fall during the swine flu freak-out many of these same cereals tried to say they were good for the immune system. Ugh! I'm pretty sure sugar is irrefutably NOT good for the immune system. Do they really think we moms are that stupid? Or are they just trying to help us justify buying crap for our kids. I don't know, but it burns me up.
So my first thought was if Joel blogged, it would be a book of one random musing--an enjoyable read, but I'd have to read it in multiple sittings :)
ReplyDeletemy second thought was, lucky charms...I want lucky charms...must have lucky charms
my final thought was, yeah I'm not sure what parent can really say cereal is healthy, but boy is it easy :) I'm such a lazy parent and breakfast is definately not the healthiest meal in our house. Grace was upset I wouldn't let her take cereal to school for her snack and tried to use the it's healthy argument. She lost, but it was funny, especially since she hasn't seen commercials claming that in a very long time--LOL
The ease of cereal is definitely a plus. It's so insanely expensive though. Lately we've been doing more buttered/jellied toast and scrambled eggs. And muffins. But Micah still loves cereal. And so do I really. One of the things I miss the most about being single is the freedom to eat cereal any time of the day. :) Sometimes you just do the best you can.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, Joel's blogging is decidedly less than brief. He still has one out there that he hasn't contributed to for a few years. It's looooong.